Monday 16 August 2010

Tom Mac



Here we have digital artist Tom Mac who's work instantly caught my attention. He has adopted a very contemporary, colourful, vibrant illustrative style and seems to mainly focus on portrait imagery. There is a lot of vector style imagery floating around the internet these days, but Tom Mac injects a real sense of individuality and intricacy into his work. Also, while looking through his work I noticed that Tom Mac is also playing around with some motion graphics. Being a huge fan of the scene I'm interested to see what he'll come up with over the coming months. With plenty of commission work under his belt and having recently completed a cover for 'SQ magazine' Tom Mac took some time out of his busy schedule to answer some questions for me.




Hey Tom Mac, Where are you from?
South coast [UK] born and bred. A little seaside town called Bexhill is where I spend most of my time, and the rest is spent dotting between Eastbourne and Brighton.


How would you describe your style of art?
My work is heavily vector based. I spend a lot of time experimenting with different styles but I mainly find myself drawn into portraits in a non-literal style, as I have an obsession with faces.


Have you got anything exciting that your currently working on?
I find myself always working on something. Even as a student I am constantly looking for jobs such as magazine illustrations but it varies. An example of the variation includes a typographical piece im working on at the moment for a music blog called 'the smoothest gooch' this involves me creating the letters out of pube ridden wax strips!


What would be your one important tip for people?
My tip for people would be look at others work. Constantly. Your never going to keep up to date with design trends and styles if you dont do this, and although individuality is the key - you need to know your competition.


Which artist is really doing it for you right now?
Gabz. His work is so inspirational to me. After stumbling across his site I was quite jealous at first as the way in which i enjoy creating portraiture is similar to his...although his is to an entirely different level!


If your interested in commissioning Tom Mac, then you can contact him via his facebook page here

2 comments:

  1. Big ups to Tom Mac doing his thing! Good interview.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. I really appreciate the input from every artist who has participated here. Thank you for taking the time to check out the site!

    ReplyDelete