Sunday 22 August 2010

Moonlily Design and Illustration







I met this artist while i was at art college and was instantly drawn towards her beautiful illustrations. I have always been very interested in anime/manga artwork and wished that I had the ability to create my own version of that asian style. Well, Moonlily can and does. Her style varies from super-cute characters to beautiful girls. From bright, energetic and vibrant to subtle, serene and natural. It is clear where Moonlily has pulled her inspiration from, but she creates hers with such finesse.


I caught up with Moonlily
to ask some questions..










Hello Moonlily, where are you from?
I come from Camborne, in Cornwall [UK]. I'm a Cornish girl, through and through; I can't think of a more interesting place to live.


How would you describe your style of art?
I'd say that my normal style is very obviously influenced by japanese art and manga, which is something I've been hooked on since I was around 8. Sometimes, I tend to tell myself off for the imperfections in my style, but I've come to realise that it's the imperfections that make my work my own. I do like to experiment with different styles now and then, but usually when I draw, it comes out manga-style, whether I intend it to or not. =3


Have you got anything exciting that your currently working on?
There are a number of different projects in the running that I'd love to be working on right now; I've been planning and sketching ideas for a manga series for a while now, and I'm looking forwards to getting some of my designs ready to sell. Unfortunately, life seems to be getting in the way at the moment. =P


What would be your one important tip for people?
I think, after the year I've had studying for my BA top up, the most important thing I've learnt is that the things you work hard for are the things that are the most gratifying. The best things in life, to me, are the things that I worked really hard for.


Which artist is really doing it for you right now?
Right now, i'm totally hooked on all CLAMP manga - CLAMP is a famous group of manga creators in Japan. My other favourites would be Yun Kouga, Yoshitaka Amano, Aya Kato and more traditional artists like Hokusai. I also draw a lot of influence from Music - I'm obsessed with Imogen Heap recently.


Moonlily is taking on commission work. For more information please contact: Rhi@moonlil.com or become a fan on facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment